Who we are
Types of data we collect
The practice holds personal data in the following categories:
- Patient clinical and health data and correspondence
- Staff employment data
- Contractor's data
- Website enquiries
Personal details (such as your name, contact detail and email address) which you provide when submitting an enquiry via our website are recorded for a period of 1 year and are used only to contact you in relation to your enquiry. We only collect details which are required in order to deliver a service or to provide you with details about a service which we can provide.
Why we process Personal Data (what is the 'purpose')
'Process' means we obtain, store, update and archive data.
- Patient data is held for the purpose of providing patients with appropriate, high quality, safe and effective dental care and treatment
- Staff employment data is held in accordance with Employment, Taxation and Pension law
- Contractors' data is held for the purpose of managing their contracts
- Website enquiry data is held for a period of one year (365 days) in order to allow us to contact you in relation to your enquiry and to refer to historical contacts
What is the Lawful Basis for processing Personal Data?
The Law says we must tell you this:
- We hold patients' data because it is in our Legitimate Interest to do so. Without holding the data we cannot work effectively. We must also hold data on NHS care and treatment as it is a Public Task required by law
- We hold staff employment details because it is a Legal Obligation for us to do so
- We hold contractors' data because it is needed to Fulfil a Contract with us
A cookie is a small file of letters and numbers that we store on your browser or the hard drive of your computer if you agree. Cookies contain information that is transferred to your computer's hard drive.
You can block cookies by clicking on the Decline button on our site's cookie notification bar. This appears at the foot of each page and your consent can be revoked or changed at any time.
You can also activate the setting on your browser that allows you to refuse the setting of all or some cookies. However, if you use your browser settings to block all cookies (including essential cookies) you may not be able to access all or parts of our site.
We do not currently add your details to any mailing lists.
Storage of your information
The security of your personal information is important to us and we endeavour to keep your personal details safe at all times. We use SSL to encrypt any personal information transmitted to us via email or through this website and employ best practise methods to keep this information safe.
Whilst we strive to keep this information safe please remember that no method of transmission over the Internet, or method of electronic storage is 100% secure.
Links to external sites
Access to personal information
You may request to have access to the personal information we hold on you at any time and can do so by putting the request in writing to:
1 Liberton Brae
We may issue a small charge for this. You may ask for us to amend or delete this information at any time by contacting us at the same address or alternatively email us.
Who might we share your data with?
We can only share data if it is done securely and it is necessary to do so
- Patient data may be shared with other healthcare professionals who need to be involved in your care (for example if we refer you to a specialist or need laboratory work undertaken). Patient data may also be stored for backup purposes with our computer software suppliers, who may also store it securely
- Employment data will be shared with government agencies such as HMRC
You have the right to:
- Be informed about the personal data we hold and why we use it
- Access a copy of your data that we hold by contacting us directly. We will acknowledge your request and supply a response within one month or sooner
- Check the information we hold about you is correct and to make corrections if not
- Have your data erased in certain circumstances
- Transfer your data to someone else if you tell us to do so and it is safe and legal to do so
- Tell us not to actively process or update your data in certain circumstances
How long is the personal data stored for?
- We will store patient data for as long as we are providing care, treatment or recalling patients for further care. We will archive (store it without further action) for as long as is required by the NHS or other trusted experts recommend
- We must store employment data for six years after an employee has left
- We must store contractors' data for seven years after the contract has ended
- The storage or website enquiry data in our website database is deleted after one year
What if you are not happy or wish to raise a concern about our data processing?
You can complain in the first instance to our Data Protection Officer, who is Richard O'Donnell, and we will do our best to resolve the matter. If this fails, you can complain to the Information Commissioner at https://www.ico.org.uk/concerns, or by calling 0303 123 1113.
At the JLR O'Donnell Dental Practice we take great care with all the Personal Data we hold to ensure we comply with best professional practice and with the law.